If you want your dog to be around people, learning how to stop your dog from biting is essential. While some dogs do better around people, any dog is capable of biting, regardless of breed or size. Even the friendliest dog may bite if injured, sick or scared. Part of responsible dog ownership is knowing how to stop your dog from biting and harming others,
How to Stop Your Dog From Biting
As a dog owner, it’s your responsibility to train your pet and teach them the proper behaviors. Therefore, do everything you can to keep your dog from harming others. Here are some tips to stop your dog from biting:
- Enroll them in training classes to promote positive behaviors.
- Keep them social. Let your dog meet and interact with different types of people including children, older people and disabled people in calm and positive conditions.
- Expose your dog regularly to different situations such as other dogs, loud noises and anything else that might scare them. Provide your dog with different experiences at an early age and make sure they’re positive.
- Pay attention to your dog’s behavior and reactions. Know what triggers your dog’s aggression and try to remove them quickly if their reaction is to bite.
- Never discipline your dog using physical, violent or aggressive forms of punishment. On the other hand, use positive reinforcement and reward your dog for displaying positive behaviors.
- If your dog has aggressive tendencies, keep them on a leash when you’re in public or put them in another room if you’re having people over. Don’t allow your dog to approach others or let others approach them outside of a controlled and restricted environment,
Positive behaviors are a part of good overall health and wellness. Therefore, if your dog’s displaying behavior traits that are out of the ordinary, bring them into Regal Animal Hospital in Lake Worth, Florida for a check-up. Your pet’s health is our priority.